- Color: Black, brown or reddish with yellow markings.
- Size: 3/4 to 1 inch.
- Feed on: Adults forage for nectar and insects to feed their young. They are natural enemies of many garden pests.
- Found in: Because their nests are open and lack an outer covering, these wasps often build them in enclosed areas, such as attics, outdoor restrooms, dense bushy habitats, and fences.
- The Sting: Paper wasps are much less aggressive than yellow jackets and hornets but when disturbed or threatened, they can sting repeatedly.
- Characteristics: Nests are built from wood fiber and plant stems, which can cause damage.