- Color: Golden-yellow with brown bands.
- Size: 1/2 inch.
- Feed on: Honey bees eat nectar and pollen from plants they pollinate. They also produce honey from this nectar to feed their young.
- Found in: They often build hives in tree crevices and shrubs, but may also build them in attics or chimneys. Colonies may contain tens of thousands of bees.
- The Sting: Honey bees can sting only once, then die. It can be very painful if the stinger is not immediately removed. Allergic persons may have severe reactions.
- Characteristics: Honey bees are beneficial insects because of their role in pollination. It is the only social insect whose colony can survive many years.